Tuesday, January 20, 2009

yes we can vs mabye vs no you can't

On the historic day that Obama takes office and surely will offer a "yes we will" speech I'm already feeling the rush of a new place wearing off. The long weekend was nice and we enjoyed a nice movie night on Friday with just the family, a cookout with Jeff's co-workers and families (yes CE here has actual families!!) and another trip to the duck pond after trying out a church in the area. Monday we went to the "big school" in Paria where we spoke with the principal (?) about preschool for charlie. He basically said that they didn't offer enrollment after December and that I could get an application in May for the following fall. That was OK for me but is a little frustrating to think that there is nothing offered at the CDC for preschool and the local school doesn't accept kids after December?! Two people offered to help us try to work it out but I'm not sure I want to press the issue and make a big deal about it. The base advertises a "kids craft" time twice a month which is full for this month which was a bummer and I heard that it's the same craft every time...not really an "activity" to get involved in if that's right. Finally I checked on girl scouts at the school and the leader said she wasn't sure they could take more girls...didn't really want to say "no" since we had just gotten here, emphasized that she would have to take part in cookie sales but could not get the rewards (big deal but "huh"), and that she wouldn't be able to go back and do all the things she had missed the first half of the year so she would be half a year behind--again "huh?" isn't this daisies? So i guess for me the newness of the place is wearing off. Heather doesn't want to do girl scouts anyway even to go and see what it is all about (which I can't take Cameron with me and her to see because of "liability" huh?) so maybe we'll just forget about it this year anyway. They're looking for new troup leaders for next year (which I'm sure I have tons of time for) so I guess helping out would ensure she stays up to date and participates ;-) I guess I'd better stop before people start worrying. On a positive note it was a chilly 10 degrees (celcius) today which allowed us to get outside and play--which we will do after we get a new president...

No comments: