Sunday, November 22, 2009

Travelling to the states

The kids and I had a fun adventure getting to the states. It started out nicely when I found out I was mis-categorized for Space-A and ended with a very nice man at the post office pulling out our package (without even a slip) and it had the backpacks that jeff had made for the kids in it. They were VERY excited and we set immediately to packing. during our trip they got TONS of comments on how cute they were (the backpacks) and were proud to say that they were from their dad. While all 3 kids were in the bathroom the fire alarm went off. I couldn't figure it out and the fireman on the phone said to change the batteries. Not able to get the cover off I took the kids to our neighbors (who's kids were also in teh bathtub at the time) and he went over and took care of the alarms (which needed a new battery). The next morning the kids went off to school and I cleaned and packed. I felt pretty good about how things were going so I went to the CE luncheon (holiday). I got to the airport and got seats on the plane. My friend kindly watched the kids and then brought them to the airport once we had seats--which were not together. I couldn't get the e-mail out that I needed to send so as we were getting on teh plane I called and my friends husband--I was that person getting on the plane with 3 kids talking on the cell phone...We got to our seats and there were 3 and one across the aisle. Once we got switched we couldn't have 8 in a row--very confusing! Then Charlie needed to go to the bathroom and during the ride I spilled a bit of Pepsi on Heather. Otherwise the kids were great and slept or were happy almost the whole way. We got off--with our bags and my parents and sister were there to greet us. The kids were estatic to see them and hugs were had by all. My mom drove us to my sisters and we arrived around 2 am her time--did I mention that was about 6 am our time?! The kids slept but were up by 5:00 am. We hung out at my sister's new house and had lunch at a friend of my parent's houses. Early bed for all--and Heather was up at 4 am this time. After everyone was up we toured the university that my brother in law works at and let the kids play at the park for a while. My sister also raked piles of leaves for teh kids to jump in. We got in my mom's car to head to Athens for a few days before thanksgiving. The kids were GREAT in the car--continuing their stellar record of travel. All in all the trip was pretty good but we all definitely need some rest and down time before any more chaos.

1 comment:

The H Family said...

So glad for you to have some time with family! And you know you're my hero for making that trip alone with the three kids, right?