Friday, December 18, 2009

christmas is really coming




The kids got even more into the christmas gift spirit yesterday when I took them each to the store to pick out something for each other. I decided last year to let them each pick out a gift for each other and for cameron. They delighted in picking out the perfect gift for their siblings which was really nice. They took their time and despite Heather knowing exactly what she wanted to get for charlie and charlie picking out exactly what Heather told him she wanted they perused the aisles to make sure they got the best thing. Continuing the holiday spirit we were visited by Mrs. Claus--a friend of mom's--and her beautiful costume. In the afternoon we went by my elementary school so Heather could see the school that I went to and we could exchange books with my first grade teacher who gave some to us for Heather to read (she teaches second grade there now). We went by my first and second grade class and I got a glimpse of what it would be like for Heather to be in school there. I think she would have been Ok but I think that staying in the Azores and coming for an extended holiday was still the best decision in most respects. Back in the holiday spirit we went to my mom's friends house who has like 30 christmas trees of all sizes decorated in a variety of themes. Mrs. K also let them decorate healthy cookies which they enjoyed almost as much as picking out a candy cane and ornament off a special tree. We then went to see the christmas lights at a house nearby that goes all out and synchronizes their lights to music (like the old beer commercial) and it's awesome. The kids enjoyed it as did myself and my parents. Despite all this holiday fun Heather is doing pretty well keeping up with her schoolwork that her teacher sent as well as reading her first chapter book on her own--frog and toad...

At some point in the last few days we also decorated the christmas tree. The kids enjoyed looking at the ornaments and we did the not breakable set and sill managed to break some ;-(. Cameron liked to just carry them around but Charlie and Heather did a good job getting them onto the tree. We had cut the tree down with mom and dad before thanksgiving.

No comments: